Saturday, July 10, 2010

how to season a cast iron pan





I just got back from my visit home to PA. My mom loves her non-stick pans (ewwwww) so I needed to get one for myself. We were flea marketing and I found a great cast iron bacon and egg pan for $6. (I also got a somewhat operational antique toaster ($5), a fully operational 1941 waffle iron ($5), and 7 golden books some antique, some not ($4).) The pan was pretty rusty and in need of some tlc.


here's what I did:
1.) scrub it
2.) grease it
3.) bake it
4.) repeat 2-3
5.) repeat 2-3 again

1.) scrub it ~ I used regular steel wool and scrubbed the heck out of the pan. top, bottom, and handle. scrub it until there is no rust left.

then dry it off with a towel.


2.) grease it ~ use a paper towel and rub it down with crisco or equivalent. grease up the whole thing. you only need to do the handle and bottom once.

3.) bake it ~ 350* for 30 minutes. I got lucky and it fit in the toaster oven.

when it's done, dab up any pooling grease with a paper towel.

4.) repeat 2 + 3 ~ you only have to grease the inside cooking surface now. bake again, 350* for 30 minutes.



nice and pretty and non-sticky

in action!


totally easy!













No comments:

Post a Comment